A new ranking evaluates American hospitals on a different set of standards.
The Lown Institute Hospitals Index uses 42 different metrics, separated into three categories and seven sub-components, to grade a hospital’s performance. The Lown Institute, the nonpartisan health care think tank behind the index, says it is the first ranking of its kind to include inclusivity, low-value care and community benefit as part of the evaluation process.
Inclusivity refers to hospital treatment of people of color, those with low incomes and those with lower educational attainment. Low-value care refers to overused procedures that are unnecessary or potentially harmful but that hospitals perform to make more money. Community benefit refers to how much hospitals spend on community benefits and free care in proportion to how many low-income individuals they serve.
On its website, the institute said that hospitals are essential to communities but that the pandemic “has also revealed hospital weaknesses: a troublesome dependency on elective procedures, a need to address the health and social conditions that make some groups more vulnerable to harm, and a lack of transparency from hospital administrators on important issues related to fairness and safety.”
The index included nearly 3,300 hospitals nationwide and 79 in Missouri.
Here are the top 10 performing hospitals in the state:
- Mosaic Life Care at St. Joseph (Saint Joseph): A+
- Parkland Health Center (Farmington): A+
- Belton Regional Medical Center (Belton): A+
- University of Missouri Health Care (Columbia): A+
- Mercy Hospital Washington (Washington): A+
- SSM Health St. Mary’s Hospital – Saint Louis (Richmond Heights): A+
- Christian Hospital Northeast-Northwest (Saint Louis): A
- Saint Luke’s North Hospital (Kansas City): A
- Golden Valley Memorial Hospital (Clinton): A
- Mercy Hospital Saint Louis (Saint Louis): A
Here are the bottom ten performing hospitals in the state (last place listed first):
- Poplar Bluff Regional Medical Center (Poplar Bluff): D-
- Caroll County Memorial Hospital (Carrollton): D-
- St. Alexius Hospital (Saint Louis): D-
- Pemiscot County Memorial Hospital (Hayti): D-
- Community Hospital Association (Fairfax): D-
- Mercy Hospital Aurora (Aurora): D-
- Washington County Memorial Hospital (Potosi): D-
- Southeast Health Center of Stoddard County (Dexter): D-
- Moberly Regional Medical Center (Moberly): D-
- Nevada Regional Medical Center (Nevada): D-