$2.1M Goes to Emergency Water Projects

Drought-stricken corn is raising prices for feed and livestock. Farms throughout Missouri are getting out of livestock.

JEFFERSON CITY — More than $2.1 million in emergency assistance has been approved by Governor Jay Nixon’s office to help Missouri farmers and livestock producers deepen wells and expand irrigation systems as they battle one of the worst droughts in decades.

As of Monday, 490 contracts for water projects have been approved under the program, up from just 33 contracts last Thursday.

Under the program, the state covers 90 percent of the cost of a new water project, with the landowner furnishing the other 10 percent. Normally the state covers 75 percent of the cost of similar water projects.

Nixon created the emergency program through an executive order last week, setting up the Agriculture Water Resource Technical Review Team to help speed up the application process. A total of $7 million is available to fund the cost sharing program.


Tags:, , , ,

Leave a Reply

Have you heard?

Missouri Business Alert is participating in CoMoGives2019!

Find out how we plan to use your gift to enhance training and programming for our students