Here’s a look at some of the stories Missouri Business Alert is tracking this week:
• Eric Greitens will shed the temporary title of “governor-elect” on Monday, when he is inaugurated as Missouri’s new governor. It will be the first elected office for Greitens, the St. Louis Republican, nonprofit founder and former Navy SEAL who ran as a political outsider.
• The Missouri House Economic Development Committee will hold a hearing Tuesday afternoon on five so-called right-to-work bills. With GOP supermajorities in the Missouri House and Senate soon to be backed by a Republican governor, Missouri is expected to enact right-to-work legislation, which bars mandatory collection of union dues in unionized workplaces.
• The National Federation of Independent Businesses will release its Small Business Optimism Index Tuesday. The monthly measure was depressed due to political uncertainty in the run-up to the November election, but small business optimism rebounded afterward, according to a special edition of the index released after Election Day.
• Several big banks, including Bank of America, JPMorgan Chase and Wells Fargo, are scheduled to report earnings on Friday. Bank stocks have been on a tear since President-elect Donald Trump’s victory in November, Bloomberg reports, and the banks hiked their prime interest rates in mid-December following the increase of the federal funds rate.
• The Kansas City Chiefs will host a second-round playoff game either Saturday or Sunday, seeking their first home playoff victory since 1994. The Chiefs’ opponent for the game will be determined this weekend.
Treasury securities auction; Labor Market Conditions Index; consumer credit report; earnings from Apollo Education Group
NFIB Small Business Optimism Index; wholesale trade report
Atlanta Fed Business Inflation Expectations report; EIA Petroleum Status Report
Fed Chair Janet Yellen speaks; St. Louis Fed Chair James Bullard speaks; Treasury budget; import and export price report; earnings from Delta Air Lines
Producer Price Index; retail sales report; earnings from Bank of America, BlackRock, JPMorgan Chase, PNC Financial Services Group and Wells Fargo
Want the state’s top business and entrepreneurship news in your inbox? Sign up here for our newsletters.