Here’s a look at some of the stories Missouri Business Alert is tracking this week:
• Several big retailers, including J C Penney, Kohl’s, Macy’s, Nordstrom, Sears and Walmart, are scheduled to report quarterly results. The earnings calls come at a challenging time for many chain stores, whose ongoing struggles with the rise of online retailers have been compounded recently by the increased threat of politics and boycotts affecting their bottom lines.
• Bayer is scheduled to report earnings Wednesday, marking the first quarterly check-in for the German chemical and pharmaceutical company since Monsanto shareholders approved Bayer’s purchase of the Creve Coeur-based seed company.
• Westar Energy will release quarterly results Wednesday. However, due to the Topeka, Kansas-based utility’s pending merger with Kansas City Power & Light parent Great Plains Energy, Westar will not hold a conference call. Great Plains is scheduled to release quarterly results Thursday and hold a conference call Friday.
• It’s almost Mardi Gras, meaning the peak of Mardi Gras festivities in St. Louis, home to one of the largest celebrations of the holiday in the U.S. Highlights of the St. Louis schedule include the Mayor’s Mardi Gras Ball on Friday and the Bud Light Grand Parade on Saturday.
• The Western Farm Show rolls into Kansas City’s American Royal Complex from Friday to Sunday. Organizers bill the event as one that will feature hundreds of exhibitors and the latest in agricultural technology.
Markets closed for Presidents Day
Earnings expected from Home Depot, La-Z-Boy, Macy’s, Papa John’s and Walmart
Existing home sales reported; February Federal Open Market Committee minutes released; earnings expected from Airbus Group, Fitbit, Square, Tesla and tronc
Chicago Fed National Activity Index released; earnings expected from Barclays, Gap, Great Plains Energy, Herbalife, Intuit, Kohls, Nordstrom and Sears
New home sales reported; earnings expected from Foot Locker and J C Penney
Want the state’s top business and entrepreneurship news in your inbox? Sign up here for our newsletters.