Here’s a look at some of the stories Missouri Business Alert is tracking this week:
• National Small Business Week runs from Sunday through Saturday, recognizing the contributions of the country’s small business owners. A variety of events are taking place across the state, and more information is available through the SBA’s district offices in Kansas City and St. Louis.
• The Federal Reserve Bank’s Federal Open Market Committee meets Tuesday and Wednesday and announces its decision on interest rates Wednesday afternoon. After raising the federal funds rate at its meeting in March, the central bank is expected to increase rates again two or three times this year, but no movement is expected at this month’s meeting, according to Econoday.
• Sprint is scheduled to report results for its fourth quarter on Wednesday, providing an up-close look at the Overland Park, Kansas-based wireless provider’s recent performance as speculation swirls about potential mergers and acquisitions in the telecom sector.
• Great Plains Energy, the parent company of Kansas City Power & Light, will release quarterly results on Thursday and hold a conference call Friday. It’s the first quarterly check-in for the utility holding company since Kansas regulators voted against Great Plains’ proposed acquisition of Westar Energy, jeopardizing the $12.2 billion deal.
• The Labor Department is scheduled to release its monthly Employment Situation Summary on Friday. The consensus projection calls for April job gains of 185,000, compared to 98,000 in March, and an unemployment rate of 4.6 percent, up from 4.5 percent in March, according to Econoday.
• Famed investor Warren Buffett will hold court with shareholders Saturday at Berkshire Hathaway’s annual meeting. For the second year, a live feed of Buffett’s question-and-answer session with journalists, analysts and shareholders will be available online.
• Other companies of local interest scheduled to report results include Stifel Financial on Monday; Aegion, EPR Properties, Edgewell Personal Care, Emerson, Olin and Waddell & Reed on Tuesday; Anheuser-Busch InBev, Belden, Compass Minerals, Energizer Holdings, Garmin, Spire, and Tallgrass Energy Partners on Wednesday; and Ameren, Perficient and YRC Worldwide on Thursday.
Motor vehicle sales reported; construction spending reported; PMI Manufacturing Index released; Gallup U.S. Consumer Spending Measure released; earnings expected from BP, DISH Network and Stifel Financial
Federal Open Market Committee meeting begins; earnings expected from Aegion, Aetna, Apple, Archer Daniels Midland, CVS Health, Charter Communications, ConocoPhillips, DineEquity, EPR Properties, Edgewell Personal Care, Emerson, Etsy, Mastercard, Mondelez International, Olin, Pfizer, Planet Fitness, Waddell & Reed and 21st Century Fox
Federal Open Market Committee meeting ends; FOMC announcement; PMI Services Index released; earnings expected from American International Group, Anheuser-Busch InBev, Avis Budget Group, Belden, CenturyLink, Compass Minerals, Energizer Holdings, Facebook, Garmin, Humana, Kraft Heinz, Metlife, Molson Coors Brewing, New York Times, Prudential Financial, Royal Dutch Shell, Spire, Sprint, Square, Tallgrass Energy Partners, Tesla, Time Warner, tronc, Volkswagen and Yum! Brands
Chain store sales reported; international trade reported; Ameren, Berkshire Hathaway, CBS, Dunkin’ Brands, Great Plains Energy, Kellogg, Lee Enterprises, McClatchy, Perficient, Shake Shack and YRC Worldwide
Employment Situation Summary released; consumer credit reported; earnings expected from Cigna, E.W. Scripps Co., Jones Lang LaSalle, Macquarie Group and Revlon
Want the state’s top business news in your inbox? Sign up here for our newsletters.