Here’s a look at some of the stories Missouri Business Alert is tracking this week:
• It’s the final week of the Missouri Legislature’s session, and legislative progress has slowed to a crawl recently due to discord in the Senate. Gov. Eric Greitens has suggested he’s open to all options, including a special session, to address Missouri’s compliance with the federal REAL ID law and other legislative priorities.
• AMC Entertainment Holdings, the movie theater operator based in the Kansas City area, is scheduled to report quarterly results on Monday, and AMC said it will provide additional financial disclosure related to its three recent acquisitions of rival cinema chains.
• The National Federation of Independent Businesses releases its Small Business Optimism Index on Tuesday. The index slipped slightly in March, but its overall trend has been a strong rise since November elections, signaling optimism from small business owners about the future of the economy.
• Mother’s Day is Sunday, and the National Retail Federation projects $23.6 billion in consumer spending for the holiday. Among the business beneficiaries: Kentucky Fried Chicken. The restaurant chain says Mother’s Day is its best sales day of the year, bringing a 40 percent spike in business. That means serving up about 6.5 million pieces of chicken, according to KFC.
• Other companies of local interest scheduled to report quarterly results include Aratana Therapeutics, Mallinckrodt Pharmaceuticals, Post Holdings and Stereotaxis on Monday; Amdocs and Hostess Brands on Tuesday; and Foresight Energy on Thursday.
Labor Market Conditions Index released; St. Louis Fed President James Bullard speaks; earnings expected from AMC Entertainment, Aratana Therapeutics, Asics, Mallinckrodt Pharmaceuticals, Marriott International, Mitsubishi, Post Holdings, Stereotaxis, Subaru and Tyson Foods
NFIB Small Business Optimism Index released; wholesale trade reported; earnings expected from Amdocs, Eastman Kodak, Electronic Arts, Hostess Brands, News Corp, Office Depot, SoftBank, Toyota Motor and Walt Disney
Import and export prices reported; Treasury budget reported; earnings expected from Snap, Time, Wendys and Whole Foods Market
Earnings expected from Foresight Energy, Kohl’s, Macy’s, Nissan Motor, and Nordstrom
Consumer Price Index released
Want the state’s top business news in your inbox? Sign up here for our newsletters.