Here’s a look at some of the stories Missouri Business Alert is tracking this week:
• Missouri lawmakers convene in Jefferson City on Monday for their second special session in four weeks. Gov. Eric Greitens called this session for legislators to address a St. Louis anti-discrimination measure and the regulation of abortion providers in the state.
• Restaurants in downtown Columbia are teaming up for the area’s first restaurant week, which runs from Monday through Sunday. Fifteen restaurants are listed as participants in the event, which will feature exclusive menus and specials.
• H&R Block, the Kansas City-based tax services company, is scheduled to report quarterly results on Tuesday. The update comes at a time of transition for H&R Block, less than a month after the company announced CEO Bill Cobb is retiring and will be replaced on an interim basis by Tom Gerke, who’s currently general counsel and chief administrative officer.
• The Federal Reserve Bank’s Federal Open Market Committee meets Tuesday and Wednesday to determine the federal funds rate. The central bank appears poised to raise interest rates this month, Bloomberg reports, but softening data casts some doubt on the likelihood of a subsequent rate hike in September. Fed Chair Janet Yellen will hold a press briefing after the meeting.
• 1Week KC kicks off Friday with a trio of events, including a startup crawl designed to showcase the city’s early-stage companies. Now in its sixth year, 1Week KC aims to celebrate and connect Kansas City’s entrepreneurs. It runs through June 23.
• Boulevardia, the beer, food and music festival backed by Boulevard Brewing, runs Friday through Sunday in Kansas City. Last year, the three-day event drew 45,000 attendees saw more than 60,000 beers served, according to organizers.
Treasury budget released
Federal Open Market Committee meeting begins; NFIB Small Business Optimism Index released; earnings expected from H&R Block
Federal Open Market Committee announcement; Fed Chair Janet Yellen press conference; Consumer Price Index released; retail sales reported; earnings expected from Liberty Tax
Housing Market Index released; import and export prices reported; industrial production reported; earnings expected from Kroger
Housing starts reported