In the Human Rights Campaign’s 2021 Corporate Equality Index measuring LGBTQ equality in the workplace, 21 Missouri companies received perfect scores of 100.
The index considers several factors for each company, including workforce protection policies for sexual orientation and gender identity or expression; equal benefits for same-sex and different-sex relationships; equal health coverage for transgender employees; LGBTQ internal diversity training; an employee group or diversity council; and efforts of outreach or engagement to the broader LGBTQ community.
The Missouri companies that received perfect scores were among 767 businesses nationwide to do so. Accurate ratings rely on participation from the companies, with data calculated from a survey sent to the companies, Internal Revenue Service filings, case law and news accounts, and individual reports.
While most of the Missouri companies that received a perfect score this year also received perfect scores in the 2020 report, Emerson Electric and the Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City both increased their scores from 95 last year.
The index demonstrates significant growth in LGBTQ protections since it began in 2002. Notably, over 99% of CEI participants now have nondiscrimination policies that protect gender identity, compared to just 5% in 2002.
Here is the full list of Missouri companies that received perfect scores of 100 this year:
- Ameren, St. Louis
- Anheuser-Busch, St. Louis
- Armstrong Teasdale, St. Louis
- Bryan Cave Leighton Paisner, St. Louis
- Centene, Clayton
- Cerner, North Kansas City
- Edward Jones, Des Peres
- Emerson Electric, Ferguson
- Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City, Kansas City
- Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis, St. Louis
- Fleishman-Hillard, St. Louis
- H&R Block, Kansas City
- Hallmark Cards, Kansas City
- Husch Blackwell LLP, St. Louis
- Mallinckrodt, Hazelwood
- Nestle Health Science, St. Louis
- Polsinelli, Kansas City
- Shook, Hardy and Bacon, Kansas City
- Stinson, Kansas City
- Thompson Coburn, St. Louis
- VMLY&R, Kansas City
Other rated Missouri companies include:
- Caleres, St. Louis – 95
- Commerce Bank, Kansas City – 90
- Enterprise Holdings, St. Louis – 95
- Laclede Group, St. Louis – 60
- Lathrop, Kansas City – 95
- Panera Bread, St. Louis – 85
- Peabody, St. Louis – 75
- Reinsurance Group of America, Chesterfield – 80
- World Wide Technology, St. Louis – 75