Fortune’s annual list of the nation’s 500 largest public companies features nine companies from the St. Louis area, three from the Kansas City area and one from Springfield.
Express Scripts Holding is the top Missouri company in this year’s Fortune 500, checking in at No. 24. The St. Louis-based pharmacy benefits manager moved up from No. 60 on last year’s list after doubling in size with its purchase of rival Medco Health Services.
Every Missouri company that made the 2012 list also made this year’s list, although Charter Communications did so as a Connecticut-based company after moving its headquarters from the St. Louis area. Jones Financial, the Des Peres-based parent company of Edward Jones, made Fortune’s list for the first time. Jones took the 491st spot after ranking 516th last year.
Wal-Mart Stores topped the Fortune 500, up one spot from last year. A trio of oil companies — Exxon Mobil, Chevron and Phillips 66 — followed in spots 2-4. Berkshire Hathaway rounded out the top five.
The complete list of Missouri and Kansas Companies to make the 2013 Fortune list is below. Numbers in parenthesis indicate 2012 rankings.
24. Express Scripts Holding – St. Louis (60)
87. Sprint Nextel – Overland Park, Kan. (90)
123. Emerson – St. Louis (120)
206. Monsanto – St. Louis (224)
275. Reinsurance Group of America – Chesterfield (289)
303. Centene – St. Louis (453)
315. Peabody Energy – St. Louis (338)
373. Ameren – St. Louis (340)
411. Seaboard – Shawnee Mission, Kan. (427)
412. O’Reilly Automotive – Springfield (424)
465. Graybar Electric – St. Louis (451)
491. Jones Financial – Des Peres (516)
498. YRC Worldwide – Overland Park, Kan. (487)